Each February east coast craft beer enthusiasts eagerly await Troegs Brewing Company’s hop lover’s delight also known as Nugget Nectar, an imperial amber ale. After moving from Harrisburg to Hershey, Pennsylvania and building a new state of the art brewery the Troegs brothers were able to increase production of this anticipated seasonal beer. While it was released a couple of weeks late, the delay was well worth it. Upon pouring Nugget Nectar’s golden amber color was met by an off-white two finger head. Aromas of resinous hops, red grapefruit, and orange were backed up by floral hints, caramel, and bready malt. At “93ish” IBUs I was expecting my palate to be met by significant bitterness, however while some hop resins were apparent in the aftertaste the flavors were quite balanced. Flavors were reminiscent of the aroma and definitely could be called hop “nectar”. Juicy grapefruit, orange, and peach notes were rounded by light caramel and sweet bready malt. Instead of being perceived as two separate entities the hops and malts blended together seamlessly. Due to the smoothness of the mouthfeel this beer was quite sessionable, even at 7.5% ABV. Overall, Nugget Nectar 2012 was a success in my book and I’m looking forward to enjoying more Troegs brews in the future, and closely following what they come up with next now that they’ve moved into a larger, more efficient brewery.
Follow me on Untappd
- UnderCurrants series unveiled by Firestone Walker’s BarrelworksCross-Continental Wild Beer Infused with Whole Black Currants from Poland (Buellton, CA) – From the fields of Poland to the coast of California comes UnderCurrants — an inaugural cross-continental wild beer from Firestone Walker’s Barrelworks. “We have been toying around […]
- Stone White Geist Berliner Weisse makes US debutYear-Round release from Stone Brewing – Berlin to be imported for a limited time (Escondido, CA) – Just two short years after the history-making opening of Stone Brewing – Berlin, the brewery’s beers are now distributed to 25 European countries, […]
- Full Sail Summa’ Time Lime Lager joins Pub Series(Hood River, OR) – Summertime along the Columbia River Gorge in Hood River has a no-shirt, no-shoes, no-problem kind of vibe, and Full Sail Brewing Co.’s latest Pub Series offering brings that on-the-beach attitude to you wherever your summer finds […]
- Crooked Stave announces Persica Day and Annual Stone Fruit Harvest WeekendDenver, CO – Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project is excited to announce Persica Day, centered around the brewery’s yearly release of Persica, their most coveted Golden Sour Ale aged with local Palisade Peaches. The brewery’s first rendition of Persia was […]
- Door County Pastoral Saison returns as seasonal release in mid-MayBaileys Harbor, WI – Door County Brewing Co. is excited to announce the return of Pastoral Saison as a seasonal release. Last brewed in the summer of 2016, Pastoral is a Belgian style saison featuring a simplistic malt bill fermented […]
- UnderCurrants series unveiled by Firestone Walker’s Barrelworks