Each February east coast craft beer enthusiasts eagerly await Troegs Brewing Company’s hop lover’s delight also known as Nugget Nectar, an imperial amber ale. After moving from Harrisburg to Hershey, Pennsylvania and building a new state of the art brewery the Troegs brothers were able to increase production of this anticipated seasonal beer. While it was released a couple of weeks late, the delay was well worth it. Upon pouring Nugget Nectar’s golden amber color was met by an off-white two finger head. Aromas of resinous hops, red grapefruit, and orange were backed up by floral hints, caramel, and bready malt. At “93ish” IBUs I was expecting my palate to be met by significant bitterness, however while some hop resins were apparent in the aftertaste the flavors were quite balanced. Flavors were reminiscent of the aroma and definitely could be called hop “nectar”. Juicy grapefruit, orange, and peach notes were rounded by light caramel and sweet bready malt. Instead of being perceived as two separate entities the hops and malts blended together seamlessly. Due to the smoothness of the mouthfeel this beer was quite sessionable, even at 7.5% ABV. Overall, Nugget Nectar 2012 was a success in my book and I’m looking forward to enjoying more Troegs brews in the future, and closely following what they come up with next now that they’ve moved into a larger, more efficient brewery.
Follow me on Untappd
- Speakeasy Ales & Lagers enters receivership, resumes brewing ops after brief hiatus(San Francisco, CA) – Here is an updated statement from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers, according to a recent blog post on its website. See below… “Speakeasy Ales & Lagers is working hard to maintain a future for their San Francisco […]
- Jester King Colour Five release set for this Friday(Austin, TX) – Another Friday, another beer release. More below from Jester King’s newsletter this week… *** This Friday, March 24th at 4pm, we’ll be releasing this year’s batch of Colour Five, our barrel aged sour beer refermented with Texas […]
- Avery Perzik Saison returns as spring seasonal in distro markets starting early April[Press Release:] (Boulder, CO) – Avery Brewing Company, a Boulder-based craft brewery and maker of White Rascal Belgian-Style White Ale, is thrilled to announce the release of its spring seasonal beer, Perzik Saison. This unmistakably peachy saison will be available […]
- Eddyline Raspberry Wheat released, brewery re-launches New Mexico market[Press Release:] (Buena Vista, CO) – Eddyline Brewery is releasing their spring/summer seasonal, Raspberry Wheat, this week. Raspberry Wheat is an American Wheat Beer made with heaps of Oregon raspberries, giving it a medium body a slightly tart, and completely […]
- Blizzard Conditions New England-style IPA results from collab between Epic, Telluride[Press Release:] (Denver, CO) – Collaboration requires creativity, passion, friendship, patience and an open mind. When all of these elements come together you have the conditions for a perfect storm or in our case, a blizzard. We’ve teamed up with […]
- Speakeasy Ales & Lagers enters receivership, resumes brewing ops after brief hiatus