Each February east coast craft beer enthusiasts eagerly await Troegs Brewing Company’s hop lover’s delight also known as Nugget Nectar, an imperial amber ale. After moving from Harrisburg to Hershey, Pennsylvania and building a new state of the art brewery the Troegs brothers were able to increase production of this anticipated seasonal beer. While it was released a couple of weeks late, the delay was well worth it. Upon pouring Nugget Nectar’s golden amber color was met by an off-white two finger head. Aromas of resinous hops, red grapefruit, and orange were backed up by floral hints, caramel, and bready malt. At “93ish” IBUs I was expecting my palate to be met by significant bitterness, however while some hop resins were apparent in the aftertaste the flavors were quite balanced. Flavors were reminiscent of the aroma and definitely could be called hop “nectar”. Juicy grapefruit, orange, and peach notes were rounded by light caramel and sweet bready malt. Instead of being perceived as two separate entities the hops and malts blended together seamlessly. Due to the smoothness of the mouthfeel this beer was quite sessionable, even at 7.5% ABV. Overall, Nugget Nectar 2012 was a success in my book and I’m looking forward to enjoying more Troegs brews in the future, and closely following what they come up with next now that they’ve moved into a larger, more efficient brewery.
Follow me on Untappd
- Deschutes Brewery brings its beers to North Carolina starting next month[Press Release:] (Bend, OR) – Deschutes Brewery announced today it will introduce its beers to the entire state of North Carolina next month through a network of seven distributors. The Oregon-based brewery will partner with Caffey Distributing Company; Carolina Premium […]
- Brewers Association 2017 Beer Style Guidelines released[Press Release:] (Boulder, CO) — The Brewers Association (BA), the not-for-profit trade group dedicated to promoting and protecting America’s small and independent craft brewers, recently released its Beer Style Guidelines for 2017. Assembled annually by the BA, these guidelines serve […]
- Dogfish Head West Virginia and Kansas distribution coming late May / early June(Milton, DE) – Dogfish Head announced on Monday its plan to send beer to two new states this week. More below from the brewery website… *** And just like that, Dogfish Head is heading to West Virginia and Kansas, bringing […]
- SKA Brewing beers now available at all BevMo locations in Northern California[Press Release:] (San Francisco, CA) – Independently owned and brewing since 1995, Ska Brewing Co. is now available in Northern CA at all BevMo locations. Domestically, Ska Brewing can be found in 11 states and they are careful with their […]
- Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 2017 variety pack and summer festival date details[Press Release:] (Chico, CA & Mills River, NC) – Beer Camp is the largest craft beer celebration! The industry’s largest collaboration effort, Beer Camp showcases the art, spirit and attitude of craft beer and everyone’s invited: brewers and fans alike. […]
- Deschutes Brewery brings its beers to North Carolina starting next month