Each February east coast craft beer enthusiasts eagerly await Troegs Brewing Company’s hop lover’s delight also known as Nugget Nectar, an imperial amber ale. After moving from Harrisburg to Hershey, Pennsylvania and building a new state of the art brewery the Troegs brothers were able to increase production of this anticipated seasonal beer. While it was released a couple of weeks late, the delay was well worth it. Upon pouring Nugget Nectar’s golden amber color was met by an off-white two finger head. Aromas of resinous hops, red grapefruit, and orange were backed up by floral hints, caramel, and bready malt. At “93ish” IBUs I was expecting my palate to be met by significant bitterness, however while some hop resins were apparent in the aftertaste the flavors were quite balanced. Flavors were reminiscent of the aroma and definitely could be called hop “nectar”. Juicy grapefruit, orange, and peach notes were rounded by light caramel and sweet bready malt. Instead of being perceived as two separate entities the hops and malts blended together seamlessly. Due to the smoothness of the mouthfeel this beer was quite sessionable, even at 7.5% ABV. Overall, Nugget Nectar 2012 was a success in my book and I’m looking forward to enjoying more Troegs brews in the future, and closely following what they come up with next now that they’ve moved into a larger, more efficient brewery.
Follow me on Untappd
- Speakeasy Blind Tiger TIPA, 16 other draft beers to be released at Grand Opening on Jan. 27(San Francisco, CA) – Speakeasy Ales & Lagers officially celebrates its return with a Grand Opening event at the brewery on Saturday, January 27, 2018! Recently re-opening the doors to their remodeled Hunters Point taproom and resurrecting its bottle production […]
- Great Divide Mexican Chocolate Yeti just released first in 2018 Local Knowledge Series(Denver, CO) – Great Divide Brewing released their first Local Knowledge release of 2018 this past Saturday, January 20th at both taprooms. The beer was still available on tap at both locations as of early this week, according to Untappd […]
- Indeed Brewing Co. 2017 year-in-review, 2018 beer calendar and other plans revealed(Minneapolis, MN) – Indeed Brewing today released both an infographic highlighting its work over the past year, and its 2018 Brand Calendar. The brewery saw another period of growth as it celebrated its fifth year of business in 2017. See […]
- Goodwood Brewing Co. partners with Georgia Crown Distributing for Georgia distribution(Louisville, KY) – Louisville-based production brewery, Goodwood Brewing Co., today announced their partnership with Georgia Crown Distributing Co. thus expanding their distribution footprint into Georgia in January 2018 with a focus on statewide distribution. Both parties are excited to bring […]
- Braxton Brewing Co. to expand distribution to Columbus, Ohio, starting Feb. 6th(Covington, KY) – Braxton Brewing Company is expanding distribution to Columbus, Ohio. The brewery, based in Greater Cincinnati, will distribute core styles, seasonals, limited releases and Braxton Labs beers beginning on Tuesday, February 6th. “We couldn’t be more excited to […]
- Speakeasy Blind Tiger TIPA, 16 other draft beers to be released at Grand Opening on Jan. 27