Each February east coast craft beer enthusiasts eagerly await Troegs Brewing Company’s hop lover’s delight also known as Nugget Nectar, an imperial amber ale. After moving from Harrisburg to Hershey, Pennsylvania and building a new state of the art brewery the Troegs brothers were able to increase production of this anticipated seasonal beer. While it was released a couple of weeks late, the delay was well worth it. Upon pouring Nugget Nectar’s golden amber color was met by an off-white two finger head. Aromas of resinous hops, red grapefruit, and orange were backed up by floral hints, caramel, and bready malt. At “93ish” IBUs I was expecting my palate to be met by significant bitterness, however while some hop resins were apparent in the aftertaste the flavors were quite balanced. Flavors were reminiscent of the aroma and definitely could be called hop “nectar”. Juicy grapefruit, orange, and peach notes were rounded by light caramel and sweet bready malt. Instead of being perceived as two separate entities the hops and malts blended together seamlessly. Due to the smoothness of the mouthfeel this beer was quite sessionable, even at 7.5% ABV. Overall, Nugget Nectar 2012 was a success in my book and I’m looking forward to enjoying more Troegs brews in the future, and closely following what they come up with next now that they’ve moved into a larger, more efficient brewery.
Follow me on Untappd
- Indeed Yamma Jamma Harvest Ale returns for a final fall season[Press Release:] (Minneapolis, MN) – Indeed Brewing Company announced today that its fall seasonal beer, Yamma Jamma Harvest Ale, will retire after autumn 2017. Conceived as an alternative to the ever growing patch of pumpkin beers, Yamma Jamma is instead […]
- Deschutes Hopzeit, The Dissident, Sagefight, Chasin’ Freshies, Hop Trip highlight fall beers(Bend, OR) – Deschutes Brewery sent over some announcement to media members on Thursday. Read on below for more on upcoming beer releases, events and more info on the Roanoke, Virginia, tasting room grand opening party. Read on below… *** […]
- Marin No Shame Apricot Milkshake IPA among latest releases in NEIPA trend[Press Release:] (Larkspur, CA) – On Wednesday, August 9, the Marin Brewing Company released its “No Shame” Apricot Milkshake IPA. It’s now on tap at Marin Brewing and in sixth-and half-barrel kegs. “No Shame” is Marin Brewing’s take on the […]
- New Belgium Brewing Group incl. Oud Beersel acquires SF-based Magnolia Brewing Co.[Press Release:] New Belgium Brewing Group Acquires San Francisco’s Magnolia Brewing Company Elysian Founder Dick Cantwell is Back in the Brewing Biz, and Belgium’s Oud Beersel Plans to Help Establish World’s First Dedicated Lambic Blendery Outside Belgium (San Francisco, CA) […]
- Ninkasi First Rule IPA joins Special Releases Series, comes to bottles[Press Release:] (Eugene, OR) — It’s no secret Ninkasi Brewing Company has a hop love affair. This continues to be evident in its newest Special Release Series beer—First Rule IPA. Originally released to Ninkasi’s Rare & Delicious Series in March […]
- Indeed Yamma Jamma Harvest Ale returns for a final fall season