Each February east coast craft beer enthusiasts eagerly await Troegs Brewing Company’s hop lover’s delight also known as Nugget Nectar, an imperial amber ale. After moving from Harrisburg to Hershey, Pennsylvania and building a new state of the art brewery the Troegs brothers were able to increase production of this anticipated seasonal beer. While it was released a couple of weeks late, the delay was well worth it. Upon pouring Nugget Nectar’s golden amber color was met by an off-white two finger head. Aromas of resinous hops, red grapefruit, and orange were backed up by floral hints, caramel, and bready malt. At “93ish” IBUs I was expecting my palate to be met by significant bitterness, however while some hop resins were apparent in the aftertaste the flavors were quite balanced. Flavors were reminiscent of the aroma and definitely could be called hop “nectar”. Juicy grapefruit, orange, and peach notes were rounded by light caramel and sweet bready malt. Instead of being perceived as two separate entities the hops and malts blended together seamlessly. Due to the smoothness of the mouthfeel this beer was quite sessionable, even at 7.5% ABV. Overall, Nugget Nectar 2012 was a success in my book and I’m looking forward to enjoying more Troegs brews in the future, and closely following what they come up with next now that they’ve moved into a larger, more efficient brewery.
Follow me on Untappd
- Evil Genius’ Gwyneth Paltrow’s Head Was in the Box NE-style IPA to be released on July 27[Press Release:] (Philadelphia, PA) – Spoiler Alert! On July 27th, Evil Genius Beer Company, will be releasing the 2nd installment in our #spolierseries … Gwyneth Paltrow’s Head Was in the Box. LIMITED beer AND crowler labels! 3 crowlers per person. […]
- Jester King calls release of Atrial Rubicite magnums “a learning experience” after issues arise(Austin, TX) – Jester King Brewery blogged on Sunday about its problematic Atrial Rubicite magnum release this weekend. The issues appear to come down to both the minimal bottle count compared to the supply and this line from the brewery’s […]
- TTB, Florida authorities conduct joint “pay-to-play” investigations in greater Miami area[Press Release:] (Miami, FL) — This week, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) conducted a joint operation with Special Agents from the Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco (ABT), Miami District Office, targeting alleged “pay to […]
- Rogue Rolling Thunder Imperial Stout comes to Rogue Public Houses 7/21, distro on 8/1[Press Release:] From the Barrel. Something Dark This Way Comes. (Newport, OR) – Rogue Ales & Spirits, the country’s only brewery-distillery-cooperage, announces the release of 2017 Rolling Thunder Imperial Stout. Brewed with ingredients grown at Rogue Farms and ocean aged […]
- Against the Grain Brewery launches European brand, to be brewed in Germany[Press Release:] Against the Grain goes Euro. After five years of brewing in America and distributing our beers all over the world, we’ve decided to take our unabashed, crude humor to a new land. Against the Grain Europe is our […]
- Evil Genius’ Gwyneth Paltrow’s Head Was in the Box NE-style IPA to be released on July 27