On 12/13/12 I met up with Untappd‘s co-founder and CTO, Greg Avola to get the inside scoop on the success his social beer app has accrued since its humble beginnings in 2010. In this episode of The Brewed Palate podcast I chose to ask Greg a combination of questions I prepared and questions from craft beer fans on Google Plus and Reddit. In addition, before asking my last couple of questions Greg and I give our thoughts in He’brew’s Hop Manna IPA i.e. the beer that we were drinking while we chatted at a table at NYC’s Beer Authority craft beer bar. Enjoy and Cheers!
The following topics are discussed in this episode:
- History and description of Untappd
- Growth of Untappd – added features
- Greg’s craft beer story and inspiration behind the Untappd app
- Role of beer apps in the craft beer community nowadays
- Record amount of Westvleteren 12 and Stone Vertical Epic check-ins on 12/12/12
- Creation of and inspiration behind Untappd badges
- Craft beer trends as seen through Untappd
- The future of Untappd – improvements in the works etc.
- What it takes to run the app as it gets more popular
- Viewer question (Google plus): Google plus add-on
- Viewer question (Google plus): Adding features to rate beers with greater accuracy and detail
- Viewer question (Reddit): At what point does untappd become profitable enough that he and his business partner can quit their day jobs and just do Untappd?
- Viewer question (Reddit): What is going to separate the free app users from the supporters?
- Quick review: He’Brew (Shmaltz) Hop Manna IPA
- Which beer styles Greg gravitates towards now that he’s been drinking craft beer for a few years
- Drinking local beer from Untappd’s perspective, “Local Flavor” badge