For the second episode of my recently created series entitled The Brewed Palate: In The Kitchen, I show you my preparation of a recipe that’s great for the colder months of the year. I prepare my “Craft Beer Chili”, a sweet chili that I add cocoa powder and Stone Brewing Co.’s Smoked Porter to. I hope you enjoy this episode and try making the chili for yourself. Cheers!
Barry’s “Craft Beer Chili”
2 lbs Ground Beef
16oz Dark Beer (porter or stout) – I added closer to 20oz in this batch
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
1 large can Crushed Tomatoes
1 – 15oz can Black Beans
1 – 15oz can Dark Kidney Beans
1 – 15oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 – 5oz can Tomato Paste
1 large Onion
2 Bell Peppers
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Hot Sauce to taste
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
3 tbsp chopped garlic
2.5 tsp chili powder
2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- Chop the onion and bell peppers into medium size pieces (as seen in the above video) and add them to your crockpot (slow cooker).
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the “Base” and then stir them together. Make sure to save some beer for the next step. Optional: Rinse the beans to remove the starch that has built up in the cans.
- Add the “Seasonings” over the top of the base and after and after thoroughly mixing them into the chili’s “Base”, top the mixture off with more beer.
- Plug in crockpot and turn dial to low.
- Cook for at least 8 hours and stir every couple of hours to ensure even cooking and distribution of flavors.
- Serve over rice or with any other starch that you like to eat alongside your chili.
Yield: A full 5.5 – 6 quart crockpot (slow cooker)
Enjoy and Cheers!