On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 I took the subway up to 238th Street and headed to Bronx Ale House for the March meeting of the Bronx Homebrewers Association (Facebook) which focused on mead. As is with many homebrewing club meetings, we first enjoyed a lesson on bee keeping / honey production and mead brewing given by Bob Slanz, Vice President of the New Jersey Beekeepers Association and accomplished mead brewer and Phil Clarke, founder of the Westchester Homebrewers Organization, Owner of Homebrew Emporium in New Rochelle and expert mead maker. Between and then after the lesson we tasted a wide range of meads brewed by Bob and Phil. As a novice mead drinker I learned a lot from both parts of the meeting and was quite impressed that just like craft beer, brewing mead lends itself to a great deal of artistry and creativity that in turn result in lots of complex flavor profiles. Once the meeting began to wind down I went downstairs to the bar’s cellar with Josh and Dave, the club’s founders to film an interview about the establishment and growth of one of NYC’s most recently established (August 2013) homebrewing club. Hence, this week’s Homebrew Wednesday….Cheers to Josh and Dave for establishing yet another great NYC homebrewing club and for being so welcoming to me at my first ever Bronx Homebrewers Association meeting!
Follow me on Untappd
- Deschutes Brewery brings its beers to North Carolina starting next month[Press Release:] (Bend, OR) – Deschutes Brewery announced today it will introduce its beers to the entire state of North Carolina next month through a network of seven distributors. The Oregon-based brewery will partner with Caffey Distributing Company; Carolina Premium […]
- Brewers Association 2017 Beer Style Guidelines released[Press Release:] (Boulder, CO) — The Brewers Association (BA), the not-for-profit trade group dedicated to promoting and protecting America’s small and independent craft brewers, recently released its Beer Style Guidelines for 2017. Assembled annually by the BA, these guidelines serve […]
- Dogfish Head West Virginia and Kansas distribution coming late May / early June(Milton, DE) – Dogfish Head announced on Monday its plan to send beer to two new states this week. More below from the brewery website… *** And just like that, Dogfish Head is heading to West Virginia and Kansas, bringing […]
- SKA Brewing beers now available at all BevMo locations in Northern California[Press Release:] (San Francisco, CA) – Independently owned and brewing since 1995, Ska Brewing Co. is now available in Northern CA at all BevMo locations. Domestically, Ska Brewing can be found in 11 states and they are careful with their […]
- Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 2017 variety pack and summer festival date details[Press Release:] (Chico, CA & Mills River, NC) – Beer Camp is the largest craft beer celebration! The industry’s largest collaboration effort, Beer Camp showcases the art, spirit and attitude of craft beer and everyone’s invited: brewers and fans alike. […]
- Deschutes Brewery brings its beers to North Carolina starting next month