On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 I took the subway up to 238th Street and headed to Bronx Ale House for the March meeting of the Bronx Homebrewers Association (Facebook) which focused on mead. As is with many homebrewing club meetings, we first enjoyed a lesson on bee keeping / honey production and mead brewing given by Bob Slanz, Vice President of the New Jersey Beekeepers Association and accomplished mead brewer and Phil Clarke, founder of the Westchester Homebrewers Organization, Owner of Homebrew Emporium in New Rochelle and expert mead maker. Between and then after the lesson we tasted a wide range of meads brewed by Bob and Phil. As a novice mead drinker I learned a lot from both parts of the meeting and was quite impressed that just like craft beer, brewing mead lends itself to a great deal of artistry and creativity that in turn result in lots of complex flavor profiles. Once the meeting began to wind down I went downstairs to the bar’s cellar with Josh and Dave, the club’s founders to film an interview about the establishment and growth of one of NYC’s most recently established (August 2013) homebrewing club. Hence, this week’s Homebrew Wednesday….Cheers to Josh and Dave for establishing yet another great NYC homebrewing club and for being so welcoming to me at my first ever Bronx Homebrewers Association meeting!
Follow me on Untappd
- Fegley’s Brew Works Bourbon Barrel Imperial Coffee Stout pre-order starts on 4/2[Press Release:] Fegley’s Brew Works will release their long-awaited specialty stout and host their annual Chocolate Festival in April 2017 (Allentown, PA) – Fegley’s Brew Works, an award-winning brewery and restaurant serving craft beer, has released their Bourbon Barrel Imperial […]
- ‘Chest Bockwell’: Sly Fox, Barcade to release lager brewed with chestnut[Press Release:] Dunkel Bock brewed with chestnut flour will be on draft at all six Barcade locations, starting with an exclusive Sly Fox multi-tap event in Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) – On Thursday, April 6, at 4 p.m. Sly Fox Brewing […]
- Saint Arnold Bishop’s Barrel No. 17, a bourbon barrel-aged Adambier, due next week[Press Release:] (Houston, TX) – Saint Arnold Brewing Co. fans will be able to have their dessert and drink it too, with the newest Bishop’s Barrel release next week. Bishop’s Barrel No. 17 is an Adambier aged in Woodford Reserve […]
- Ska Brewing Co. announces industry vet, Kurt Randall, as new head brewer[Press Release:] (Durango, CO) – Ska Brewing Co. today announces that industry veteran Kurt Randall will take on the title and role of Head Brewer. Randall’s new position will include oversight of brewing and cellaring operations, product innovation and the […]
- Three Creeks Brewing’s Throwback Series launches with Amber Ale[Press Release:] (Sisters, OR) – Three Creeks Brewing Co. is pleased to announce the release of Amber Ale, the first in our new Throwback Series designed to celebrate beer styles that fueled the “microbrew” revolution. Developed as a sort of […]
- Fegley’s Brew Works Bourbon Barrel Imperial Coffee Stout pre-order starts on 4/2