On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 I took the subway up to 238th Street and headed to Bronx Ale House for the March meeting of the Bronx Homebrewers Association (Facebook) which focused on mead. As is with many homebrewing club meetings, we first enjoyed a lesson on bee keeping / honey production and mead brewing given by Bob Slanz, Vice President of the New Jersey Beekeepers Association and accomplished mead brewer and Phil Clarke, founder of the Westchester Homebrewers Organization, Owner of Homebrew Emporium in New Rochelle and expert mead maker. Between and then after the lesson we tasted a wide range of meads brewed by Bob and Phil. As a novice mead drinker I learned a lot from both parts of the meeting and was quite impressed that just like craft beer, brewing mead lends itself to a great deal of artistry and creativity that in turn result in lots of complex flavor profiles. Once the meeting began to wind down I went downstairs to the bar’s cellar with Josh and Dave, the club’s founders to film an interview about the establishment and growth of one of NYC’s most recently established (August 2013) homebrewing club. Hence, this week’s Homebrew Wednesday….Cheers to Josh and Dave for establishing yet another great NYC homebrewing club and for being so welcoming to me at my first ever Bronx Homebrewers Association meeting!
Follow me on Untappd
- Independence Brewing, “The Tacos of Texas” authors start Revolución Saison to pair with tacos[Press Release:] Austin brewery and “The Tacos of Texas” authors join forces to create Revolución Saison Ale (Austin, TX) – Independence Brewing Co., one of Texas’ original craft breweries, today celebrates its release of Revolución Saison Ale, a limited release […]
- Independence Brewing Co. expands distribution throughout Arkansas[Press Release:] Austin-based craft brewery finds a ‘natural’ fit with first statewide territory outside of Texas (Austin, TX) – Independence Brewing Co., one of Texas’ original craft breweries, today announced the company will begin distributing its lineup of award-winning beers […]
- Newport Storm’s LocAle just re-released[Press Release:] (Newport, RI) – Newport Storm’s is re-releasing LocAle! “While similar to the last version, the brewers couldn’t resist making interesting tweaks to this one”, says founder and president, Brent Ryan. Little changes have been made to this honey […]
- Samuel Smith’s Organic Apricot Ale, Organic Strawberry Ale hit 4-packs in August[Press Release:] For a family-owned brewery with over 250 years of history, there is really nothing more traditional and authentic than brewing organically: in 1758, all beer was organic! Melbourn Bros. Brewery in Stamford, England, was established in 1825. After […]
- Indeed Brewing celebrates five years of business this August[Press Release:] (Minneapolis, MN) – Indeed Brewing Company will celebrate its fifth anniversary of business on August 10, 2017. The Company sold its inaugural beer on that day in 2012, becoming the first brewery and taproom to open in Northeast […]
- Independence Brewing, “The Tacos of Texas” authors start Revolución Saison to pair with tacos