On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 I took the subway up to 238th Street and headed to Bronx Ale House for the March meeting of the Bronx Homebrewers Association (Facebook) which focused on mead. As is with many homebrewing club meetings, we first enjoyed a lesson on bee keeping / honey production and mead brewing given by Bob Slanz, Vice President of the New Jersey Beekeepers Association and accomplished mead brewer and Phil Clarke, founder of the Westchester Homebrewers Organization, Owner of Homebrew Emporium in New Rochelle and expert mead maker. Between and then after the lesson we tasted a wide range of meads brewed by Bob and Phil. As a novice mead drinker I learned a lot from both parts of the meeting and was quite impressed that just like craft beer, brewing mead lends itself to a great deal of artistry and creativity that in turn result in lots of complex flavor profiles. Once the meeting began to wind down I went downstairs to the bar’s cellar with Josh and Dave, the club’s founders to film an interview about the establishment and growth of one of NYC’s most recently established (August 2013) homebrewing club. Hence, this week’s Homebrew Wednesday….Cheers to Josh and Dave for establishing yet another great NYC homebrewing club and for being so welcoming to me at my first ever Bronx Homebrewers Association meeting!
Follow me on Untappd
- Speakeasy Blind Tiger TIPA, 16 other draft beers to be released at Grand Opening on Jan. 27(San Francisco, CA) – Speakeasy Ales & Lagers officially celebrates its return with a Grand Opening event at the brewery on Saturday, January 27, 2018! Recently re-opening the doors to their remodeled Hunters Point taproom and resurrecting its bottle production […]
- Great Divide Mexican Chocolate Yeti just released first in 2018 Local Knowledge Series(Denver, CO) – Great Divide Brewing released their first Local Knowledge release of 2018 this past Saturday, January 20th at both taprooms. The beer was still available on tap at both locations as of early this week, according to Untappd […]
- Indeed Brewing Co. 2017 year-in-review, 2018 beer calendar and other plans revealed(Minneapolis, MN) – Indeed Brewing today released both an infographic highlighting its work over the past year, and its 2018 Brand Calendar. The brewery saw another period of growth as it celebrated its fifth year of business in 2017. See […]
- Goodwood Brewing Co. partners with Georgia Crown Distributing for Georgia distribution(Louisville, KY) – Louisville-based production brewery, Goodwood Brewing Co., today announced their partnership with Georgia Crown Distributing Co. thus expanding their distribution footprint into Georgia in January 2018 with a focus on statewide distribution. Both parties are excited to bring […]
- Braxton Brewing Co. to expand distribution to Columbus, Ohio, starting Feb. 6th(Covington, KY) – Braxton Brewing Company is expanding distribution to Columbus, Ohio. The brewery, based in Greater Cincinnati, will distribute core styles, seasonals, limited releases and Braxton Labs beers beginning on Tuesday, February 6th. “We couldn’t be more excited to […]
- Speakeasy Blind Tiger TIPA, 16 other draft beers to be released at Grand Opening on Jan. 27