On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 I took the subway up to 238th Street and headed to Bronx Ale House for the March meeting of the Bronx Homebrewers Association (Facebook) which focused on mead. As is with many homebrewing club meetings, we first enjoyed a lesson on bee keeping / honey production and mead brewing given by Bob Slanz, Vice President of the New Jersey Beekeepers Association and accomplished mead brewer and Phil Clarke, founder of the Westchester Homebrewers Organization, Owner of Homebrew Emporium in New Rochelle and expert mead maker. Between and then after the lesson we tasted a wide range of meads brewed by Bob and Phil. As a novice mead drinker I learned a lot from both parts of the meeting and was quite impressed that just like craft beer, brewing mead lends itself to a great deal of artistry and creativity that in turn result in lots of complex flavor profiles. Once the meeting began to wind down I went downstairs to the bar’s cellar with Josh and Dave, the club’s founders to film an interview about the establishment and growth of one of NYC’s most recently established (August 2013) homebrewing club. Hence, this week’s Homebrew Wednesday….Cheers to Josh and Dave for establishing yet another great NYC homebrewing club and for being so welcoming to me at my first ever Bronx Homebrewers Association meeting!
Follow me on Untappd
- Indeed Yamma Jamma Harvest Ale returns for a final fall season[Press Release:] (Minneapolis, MN) – Indeed Brewing Company announced today that its fall seasonal beer, Yamma Jamma Harvest Ale, will retire after autumn 2017. Conceived as an alternative to the ever growing patch of pumpkin beers, Yamma Jamma is instead […]
- Deschutes Hopzeit, The Dissident, Sagefight, Chasin’ Freshies, Hop Trip highlight fall beers(Bend, OR) – Deschutes Brewery sent over some announcement to media members on Thursday. Read on below for more on upcoming beer releases, events and more info on the Roanoke, Virginia, tasting room grand opening party. Read on below… *** […]
- Marin No Shame Apricot Milkshake IPA among latest releases in NEIPA trend[Press Release:] (Larkspur, CA) – On Wednesday, August 9, the Marin Brewing Company released its “No Shame” Apricot Milkshake IPA. It’s now on tap at Marin Brewing and in sixth-and half-barrel kegs. “No Shame” is Marin Brewing’s take on the […]
- New Belgium Brewing Group incl. Oud Beersel acquires SF-based Magnolia Brewing Co.[Press Release:] New Belgium Brewing Group Acquires San Francisco’s Magnolia Brewing Company Elysian Founder Dick Cantwell is Back in the Brewing Biz, and Belgium’s Oud Beersel Plans to Help Establish World’s First Dedicated Lambic Blendery Outside Belgium (San Francisco, CA) […]
- Ninkasi First Rule IPA joins Special Releases Series, comes to bottles[Press Release:] (Eugene, OR) — It’s no secret Ninkasi Brewing Company has a hop love affair. This continues to be evident in its newest Special Release Series beer—First Rule IPA. Originally released to Ninkasi’s Rare & Delicious Series in March […]
- Indeed Yamma Jamma Harvest Ale returns for a final fall season