On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 I took the subway up to 238th Street and headed to Bronx Ale House for the March meeting of the Bronx Homebrewers Association (Facebook) which focused on mead. As is with many homebrewing club meetings, we first enjoyed a lesson on bee keeping / honey production and mead brewing given by Bob Slanz, Vice President of the New Jersey Beekeepers Association and accomplished mead brewer and Phil Clarke, founder of the Westchester Homebrewers Organization, Owner of Homebrew Emporium in New Rochelle and expert mead maker. Between and then after the lesson we tasted a wide range of meads brewed by Bob and Phil. As a novice mead drinker I learned a lot from both parts of the meeting and was quite impressed that just like craft beer, brewing mead lends itself to a great deal of artistry and creativity that in turn result in lots of complex flavor profiles. Once the meeting began to wind down I went downstairs to the bar’s cellar with Josh and Dave, the club’s founders to film an interview about the establishment and growth of one of NYC’s most recently established (August 2013) homebrewing club. Hence, this week’s Homebrew Wednesday….Cheers to Josh and Dave for establishing yet another great NYC homebrewing club and for being so welcoming to me at my first ever Bronx Homebrewers Association meeting!
Follow me on Untappd
- UnderCurrants series unveiled by Firestone Walker’s BarrelworksCross-Continental Wild Beer Infused with Whole Black Currants from Poland (Buellton, CA) – From the fields of Poland to the coast of California comes UnderCurrants — an inaugural cross-continental wild beer from Firestone Walker’s Barrelworks. “We have been toying around […]
- Stone White Geist Berliner Weisse makes US debutYear-Round release from Stone Brewing – Berlin to be imported for a limited time (Escondido, CA) – Just two short years after the history-making opening of Stone Brewing – Berlin, the brewery’s beers are now distributed to 25 European countries, […]
- Full Sail Summa’ Time Lime Lager joins Pub Series(Hood River, OR) – Summertime along the Columbia River Gorge in Hood River has a no-shirt, no-shoes, no-problem kind of vibe, and Full Sail Brewing Co.’s latest Pub Series offering brings that on-the-beach attitude to you wherever your summer finds […]
- Crooked Stave announces Persica Day and Annual Stone Fruit Harvest WeekendDenver, CO – Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project is excited to announce Persica Day, centered around the brewery’s yearly release of Persica, their most coveted Golden Sour Ale aged with local Palisade Peaches. The brewery’s first rendition of Persia was […]
- Door County Pastoral Saison returns as seasonal release in mid-MayBaileys Harbor, WI – Door County Brewing Co. is excited to announce the return of Pastoral Saison as a seasonal release. Last brewed in the summer of 2016, Pastoral is a Belgian style saison featuring a simplistic malt bill fermented […]
- UnderCurrants series unveiled by Firestone Walker’s Barrelworks