On Sunday, January 31st I fired up both of my brew kettles for my second ever double brew day. This time I brewed a Belgian Pale Ale whose recipe was inspired by Allagash Brewing Company’s House Beer and the base wort for a dark sour ale whose grain bill comprised of a scaled down version of a dark saison that I brewed in 2014. Aside from some issues with controlling my mash temps (see video) this brew day went smoother than my first double brew day and the beers are both fermenting along quite well.
- Carbonating my doppelbock / lost CO2
- Homebrew Alley 2016 – NYC’s biggest homebrew competition: Discussion about the 5 beers that I entered.
- Recap of my recent trip to Israel / The Israeli craft beer scene (see video for pics).
- Tasting notes of and inspiration behind my Satiator doppelbock.
- Brew day footage!!!
Birrat Habayit (House Beer)
- 7.5 lbs 2-row Pale Malt
- 0.5 lb Victory Malt
- 0.5 lb Cara-Pils
- 0.5 lb Flaked Wheat
- 1 oz Tettnang @ 60 minutes
- 0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin @ 10 minutes
- o.5 oz Saaz @ 10 minutes
- 0.5 oz Centennial @ 5 minutes
- 0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin @ Flame out
- 0.5 oz Centennial @ Flame out
- 0.25 oz Saaz @ Flame out
- 0.30 oz Tettnang @ Flame out
- Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes – 1 liter starter
- Mash @ 150F for 75 minutes
- Mash out @ 168F for 10 minutes and then fly sparge
- Target pre-boil gravity 1.044 (Actual: 1.041 @ 6.1 gallons)
- Boil for 60 minutes (Boiled for closer to 75 minutes)
- Target OG 1.049 (Actual: 1.051)
- Ferment @ 20-21C for 2 days and then let rise to 22.5C
- Batch Size: 5 gallons
Fruits of my Labor dark sour
- 8.5 lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt
- 1.25 lbs White Wheat
- 0.5 lb Vienna
- 0.5 lb Midnight Wheat
- 0.25 Rye Malt
- 1 lb D180 Candi Syrup
- 15 IBUS Tettnang split between 60 minutes and 10 minutes left in boil
- Allagash dregs dark sour slurry – 1 16oz mason jar
- DanStar Belle Saison
- Batch Size: 5 gallons
- Mash at 155F for 75 minutes – BIAB method w/ 65% estimated brew house efficiency
- 7 gallons water in kettle at start.
- Mash out by raising temp to 168F
- Drain grain bag and then measure how much wort is in your brew kettle
- Sparge w/ enough 170F water to get to your target boil volume.
- Boil for 90 minutes adding the D180 syrup with 10 minutes remaining
- Aerate, pitch slurry, and ferment at room temperature.
- Add Belle Saison yeast 3 days into primary fermentation.
- Target / Actual OG 1.061
More details about the above recipes will be added ASAP.
- Beer Bazaar – Jerusalem craft beer bar
- Homebrew Alley – NYC’s biggest homebrew competition
- Biratenu – Homebrew shop in Jerusalem
- Jem’s Beer Factory – Tel Aviv brewery / brewpub
- McKinney Welding – where I swap my CO2 tank/s
- Allagash Brewing Company – House Beer specs